Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Ten Questions

Sorry this is so borrowed but on the back of the last post I don't have a lot to say. So L Williams is basically the reigning queen of blog hops, and used to do these monthly "10 Questions" posts, well, every month. But it's been a while. She recently busted out the topic again for July.


1. Do you actually always pick the horse's feet? Always? Really?

Honestly basically never, unless I'm
Treating thrush, tracking abscesses, competing or doing studs. Packed dirt is like a poor mans sole pad surely. 


2. What is the biggest obstacle/reason preventing you from becoming a professional or competing full time with ease? 
I have dabbled as a professional being a working student for while and still now I picked up the odd schooler or paid ride. I found it wore me out though and made me cynical. Doing what you love for work can make what you love just work, and I lost a lot of the passion for it. I also found it really high pressure riding horses for other people, and mostly they weren't great horses and I'm too old for that. So I'd say The biggest obstacle is that I just don't want to devote my whole life to horses.







3. Do you think it will ever not be about the money? 
Nope, no way, not even a little. You can buy your way to the top and even a pasture puff is hella expensive to take proper care of. 


4. Was there ever a horse that you loved and really wanted to have a connection with, but it just never panned out? Often often often. Particularly with horses you can tell would do better with a more one on one approach and not the team setting. I loved this mate I rode for a while but she took a long time to build up strength especially as I wouldn't just slap draw reins on her. A bit slow but hella scopey. 


Seriously those ears!! Also I wish I could have brought Butch as a seven yr old because it would have been epic. I'm pretty pragmatic about it. They aren't Pokemon you can't catch them all. 








5. What is one weakness in your riding that even your trainer doesn't pick up on, only you? 

Umm probably that jumping scares the shit out of me. Though I think she knows. I've created lots of coping mechanisms though. 


6. What is the biggest doubt/insecurity you ask or tell yourself in your head? 
That I'm simply not good enough not ever will be as a rider.


7. There is a barn fire. You are the first person to discover it and see that the roof is collapsing in slowly, and you can tell it's going to come down any time. Do you call people first or head straight in to save the horses. It would depend on the situation. I'm pretty good in a crisis. I have had this happen on
A calf shed and while my ex raced off to save the calves, I got the shed hose. He hit a steel fence and knocked himself over and I put the fire out. Panic doesn't help. And cell phones right.


8. What is one event in your riding career/horse/anything that you're still not over, even tho you might tell others you are? I'm not over Fred. That horse definitely took the best of me and made me really cowardly. The most ungenuine, unforgiving horse ever.








9. If you could tell off one person you just don't like, what would you say? 
Horses are not a commodity to be replaced once you have fried their brains. It's not normal to go through horses like old pants.




10. Have you ever seen questionable riding or training practices, but let it go/ignored it? How do you feel about it in hindsight? Endlessly. Mostly when people have lost their temper. I've done it myself and it's so shit. In hindsight I feel like I don't say anything because people will be like who is this no body. 
***

What about you?

3 comments:

  1. Every single one of your answers was so fucking great - either super super relatable, or really funny (Pokemon). I have a really unforgiving mare at the moment that I drag out every now and again when I feel I have the energy to win any potential battles and you have to question whether they're worth it. So many great horses with good hearts out there..

    99% of my riding regrets involve me losing my temper haha not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good answers here. I can definitely understand how going pro can induce cynicism - definitely not something I want! But also. #9. So true.

    ReplyDelete