Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Didn't Wanna

I've been having a pig of a time to be honest. Very slowly getting depressed again and just generally struggling with life. Massive shout out to the significant other who has been a rock and a safe place and everything I could have needed. So what's been happening? A lot of stuff. I had a really cool job working at the vets for three months as a large animal technician

 

That's a very cute sedated highland calf I had just debudded so it wouldn't grow horns. It's been amazing and a huge and exciting learning curve, working with an absolutely incredible group of people and as a result I'm heading to vet school at the end of feb. Whether this means I sell China I'm not sure yet.

China has been an absolute donkey at times. He's been rushing his fences something wicked and I would have used probably twenty different bits and five different bridle set ups, trying all sorts of things. The problem isn't in the bridle though it's in his head and not much was holding him when he decided to go. It was frustrating that for months I just couldn't get through to him. I've never felt so stuck with a horse before. 

 

Sweaty dripping mess cross country schooling.  I took him to feilding show and he was an absolute nightmare. Leaping and reeding and just basically unrideable. I was definitely that girl at the show that probably shouldn't be there. The whole thing was pretty heart breaking. And completely demoralising. The very next day he jumped at a local event and did a beautiful double clear in The eighty cm class and just two cheap rails in the 90cm class. I didn't warm him up over fences at all though because that' starts the wind up.

 Then I went to have a lessons and he was mad again. Thank goodness my trainer whose been injured has been feeling good again because she was like give him to me to ride. And in literally two rides reset him into the horse I thought he was. He relaxed and dropped the rushing and started to jump in some shape again. And basically all it came down to was that I needed to keep more contact and more connection to help him feel secure and not give him the room to start winding up. I'm
Softening too much at the base and panicking him by unbalancing him instead of keeping the contact and a smooth following hand. 

In the mean time I've been having lots of adventures with him to make him a more versatile little guy and to get him travelling. I'm hoping this helps when we go back to a show because maybe it will all unravel there again.

 


 

Still he's
Worth persevering with, he's super nice. When he's nice, though when he's horrible he's super awful. Lesson tomorrow I'll try get some video 


 


7 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been having a rough time. Vet school sounds cool tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear from you - that's super exciting about the vet tech position and vet school!!! sorry to hear things are still going so poorly with China tho :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Demanding horses are demanding. Glad you have a solid trainer to help you along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey if theres one thing I know, its that quality horses are worth the total ass pain and heartbreak! B was a NIGHTMARE for over a year and sometimes I left the barn sobbing. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like great stuff is happening big picture. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year Becks, big changes in 2017 huh?! Will you be moving closer to palmy or doing the commute over to school? Easy to feel down and out in the midst of everything but lots to look forward to hey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That calf is super cute, congrats on deciding to go to vet school. I'm sure it will be quite the adventure and I'm glad that you were able to get some help with China man so you can have more confidence in the growth of your relationship!

    ReplyDelete